The benefits of eucalyptus
Do you know the eucalyptus? This huge tree, native to Australia, has many virtues.
Robust and graceful with bluish-gray foliage, eucalyptus was planted in France and more widely in Europe at the end of the 19th century. Very quickly, many countries integrated the medicinal uses of eucalyptus leaves in their pharmacopoeia. Among them India, Sri Lanka, China, South Africa, Europe or Reunion Island.
There are many varieties of eucalyptus, but only about fifteen of them are used for their medicinal properties. It is used in many pharmaceutical compositions for its multiple anti-inflammatory and anti-infectious properties. Moreover, eucalyptus owes its nickname “fever tree” to its immune system strengthening properties.
Eucalyptus in aromatherapy and perfumery
Eucalyptus is appreciated in medicine but not only! With its fresh, vegetal and mentholated notes, this tree is prized in perfumery and aromatherapy.
Indeed, it is from the 1860s that the production of essential oil of eucalyptus is born in Australia in the region of Victoria.
In the past, this oil was used in English hospitals for antiseptic purposes. Nowadays it is used in the medical field to relieve the respiratory tract.
In aromatherapy three species of eucalyptus are mainly used:
- Eucalyptus radiata (E. radiata): this oil is well tolerated by the mucous membranes of the skin and is suitable for children. However it is not recommended during the first three months of pregnancy.
- Mentholated Eucalyptus (E. dives): used for respiratory tract ailments but its use is not recommended for children under six years of age and for pregnant and nursing women.
- Lemon Eucalyptus (E. citriodora) : used for topical applications (arthritis, itching, tendonitis, mosquito repellent etc.)
Discover its benefits :
- Purifying and refreshing
- Very good mental tonic
- Clarifies thoughts
- Improves breathing
- Antibacterial and antiviral
- Promotes the proper functioning of the immune system
And in perfumery ?
Eucalyptus is widely used in home perfumes, but also in well-being perfumery. Its smell is mentholated, refreshing, invigorating.
At 100BON we love this ingredient! We use it in our New Breath spray and roll-on in our Aromachology line. The properties of eucalyptus improve breathing and release emotions. You will also find it in our home range with the fragrance Eucalyptus and energizing mint and in soap with Lavender and Eucalyptus.